Friday, May 29, 2015

Ed Wood extra: Another new book (with a contribution by me, no less!)

A new book about (among other things) the writing career of Ed Wood.

"Dear sir or madam, would you read my book?"
-The Beatles, "Paperback Writer"

About a year ago, by my estimation, I was approached by the editors of an upcoming book about pulp fiction to contribute a chapter about Edward D. Wood, Jr. I would have gladly done so for free, but (happily) this was a modestly-paying gig -- the only time, in fact, I have ever been paid to write about Ed Wood. Trust me, it doesn't come anywhere near what I've spent on books, DVDs, posters, and (let's not forget) a trip to New York City as part of this project. But, still, it's nice to be asked, you know? At the suggestion of the aforementioned editors, Iain McIntyre and Andrew Nette, I focused my attention on Eddie's 1967 girl-gang potboiler, Devil Girls. I put quite a bit of work into the resulting chapter, but I never mentioned it here because I didn't know the current state of the book. Well, now I am happy to announce that Beat Girls, Love Tribes, and Real Cool Cats: Pulp Fiction and Youth Culture, 1950-1980 is due to be released on November 10, 2015 from Verse Chorus Press. That link in the previous sentence will take you to the book's Amazon page. I get nothing from the sale of the book, by the way. I'm not even sure I get a free copy. We'll see.

Incidentally, because I'm in the mood for some shameless self-promotion, here's some other Joe Blevins-related crap fine quality merchandise you can find on Amazon:


Not exactly enough to give H.L. Mencken a run for his money -- or Ed Wood, for that matter -- but it's a start.